Pennsylvania State University
Master of Science: Geography
4.0 Overall GPA
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Bachelor of Science: Honors in Cartography and GIS
3.973 Overall GPA, Dean’s list for all 8 semesters
Research Assistant :
- Determined appropriate representation techniques for spatial data
- Evaluated UI/UX design of Beescape interactive application
Graphic Designer/Research Assistant:
- Conceptualized and developed ESRI storymaps collection
- Formulated and conducted an online survey through Qualtrics
- Collected and processed data of web applications by performing statistical and content analysis of 190 web applications
UW Cartography Lab
Web Designer :
- Formatted the production, research, and people pages of the UW Cartography Website using responsive web design standards
- Launched over 20 education pages showcasing student works
- Wrote and designed two long-form infographic story maps
UW GeoSpatial Data Science Lab
Assistant Researcher :
- Created visualizations for 3 geospatial research projects
- Solved geographic problems using python by developing more than 15 scripts.
- Proofread 10 geospatial papers for academic journals submission.
Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, Blender, Mapbox Studio
QGIS, ArcGIS, Python, (Geo) Pandas, R, Excel
Roth RE, Sack CM, G Baldrica-Franklin, Y Chen, R Donohue, L Houtman, T Prestby R Tolochko, and N Underwood, , Web Mapping: A Workbook for Interactive Cartography and Visualization on the Open Web. Version 0.1. University of Wisconsin Cartography Laboratory: Madison, WI. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.4032935
Gao S, M Li, J Rao , G Mai , T Prestby, J Marks, and Y Hu Automatic urban road network extraction from massive GPS trajectories of taxis
Li B, S Gao, Y Liang, Y Kang , T Prestby, Y Gao, and R Xiao Estimation of regional economic development indicator from transportation network analytics Nature: Scientific Reports
Prestby T, J App, Y Kang, and S Gao Understanding neighborhood isolation through spatial interaction network analysis using location big data Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space
Prestby T (presenter), J App, Y Kang, and S Gao. 2020. Visualizing Neighborhood Isolation by Spatial Interaction Network Analysis. The 115th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Geographers. Denver, Colorado: Canceled
Prestby T (co-presenter), D Hart (co-presenter), and RE Roth (co-presenter). 2020. Designing Coastal Web Atlases: Best Practices and Future Directions. Social Coast Forum 2020 . Charleston, South Carolina: February 6.
Prestby T (presenter), S Gao, Y Liang, Y Kang, and B Li. 2019. Linking Traffic Volume to Economic Development Index Using Big Data and Gravity Models. The 114th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Geographers. Washington, DC: April 4.
Received for my excellence and service in the cartography/GIS department at UW-Madison.
Barbara Bartz Petchenik Award:
Bicycles in America: Received first place for my merit in cartographic design principles, thought, and outcome.
WLIA Map Competition
Bicycles in America: Received first place for both the thematic map and keynote’s choice categories.
Phi Beta Kappa
Selected for my outstanding academic achievement at UW-Madison and my record of having met high standards of personal conduct and academic integrity.
Community Environmental Scholars Program
Awarded for my passion for the environment, service to others, and leadership.
Association of American Geographers (AAG)
Cartography Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers (AAG‒CSG)